1.21.2010

Arrival







Vladimir Kramnik sips his coffee just 3 feet in front of me. Take the shot! Arr, too late. Move on. As I turn I almost bump into Vassily Ivanchuk pacing the aisle. Whoa. This is surreal. Hey, where's Ray Robson - USA superstar that I have to meet? He is in deep thought 5 moves into his game. Click! Aw, I'm getting the hook. Oh, every other photographer has laready left! I was so immersed in the sea of heroes in the flesh, time stood still. But now I move gracefully back to the press room.

Round 5 has begun.

Just 17 hours ago, I was flying out of Albany, NY. Two flights, two trains and a bus, one ocean, 4 half meals, 3 hours sleep and a hotel check-in later, it feels like I just left home and BOOM! here I am along the North Sea. Like I said, surreal.

And this place is buzzing. Lots of photographers and TV crews. A whole different scene than last year, thanks to the high drama in the first 4 rounds. And today we see Kramnik pass up the chance to play a Petroff! "He smells blood in the water" is the comment in the press room. Shirov launches an immediate kingside attack on Van Wely - ya gotta love 'im! And Carlsen chooses not to play a Sicilian against Nakamura, apparently not wanting to jump into a fight with him. Well, more on these games later.

I just wanted to play my first move on this blog!

No comments: