2.03.2009

A final note

Oh! I want to add one last blog. Because I want to acknowledge the people who work behind the scenes at to send daily reports in to ICC and Chessbase. They do not have a glamorous job, they work long hours, and I would think it takes a lot for them to "keep their head in the game."

First, let me correct my early misspelling of the name of Macauley Peterson.

Macauley welcomed me shortly after I entered the press room. At first I was "you're THE Macauley Peterson?? Wow!" And then it was like, "duh! where else would he be?!" Once over this revelation, I also met Peter Doggers of ChessVibes. And I spent most of one round with them. I came to really appreciate that their job of reporting on the world class tournaments is not as exciting as you might think.

So first, they are in the back rooms for many, many hours each day. And the back rooms are comfortable but it isn't where you want to spend half a day if you have your druthers. Then they are dealing with making sure all of the technology is working, trying to take photos and video footage ... of something ... something worth recording.

For the first few hours of the round, all games are being played and there is nobody to speak with. When the GM's finish their games, very few are cooperative with being interviewed, let alone willing to go over their game at an analysis board. Maybe it's just the players are tired but typically it seems like the reporters have to work hard to get anything to work with. Like they almost have to corner a player as they try to scoot out the back door just to get a few comments out of them. ** It would certainly help the public appeal of the sport if the top players could put a little more "oomph" into their being interviewed. ** And the reporters are there for hours after the last game ends sending in their reports.

So I really want to acknowledge Macauley and Peter for the jobs they do. They struck me as a couple of good guys who coaxed stories out of people who are, for the most part, quiet and introverted. They are exceptionally professional and dedicated to providing us chess players (and their customers) with interesting chess news even on the days when it all must be dreadfully dull. And, not to be overlooked, they are doing so far from home, much of the time in back rooms, and for weeks or months at a time. Thank you guys!

There was also a whole team of people there in the main control room (distinct from the press room) that I did not really meet. They may have a similar lifestyle and challenges and are just as deserving of some acknowledgement. I just cannot say. But they at least appeared to be a group, with comradery and mutual support, while Peter and Macauley seemed to be more on their own in the other room.

So when you are at home, all comfy and following games like Magnus vs Levon on your computer, I encourage you to appreciate that you are getting the service that you paid for and that the reporters "over there" are dedicated to finding the stories you will enjoy.

Now this reporter will sign off for the last time. I have really enjoyed sharing these tales from the other side of the pond. I hope you have enjoyed them, too. And if this sounds like a fun trip, I say go yourself to one of the top events like Corus or Linares and soak it up.

This is Phil Ferguson for ENYCA, saying goodbye from Corus 2009!

No comments: